Monday, April 23, 2018

Overwhelming Emotion... Have You Ever Been Taken Over By It?

Since mom's passing, I find myself doing okay but boy oh boy, do I get caught by surprise by overwhelming emotions at the most unexpected times.

Yes, when I first started to go shopping without her in tow, I found myself, especially in some of the department stores we frequented, turning around to see if she was following me and alright.  It was disturbing to me that I did that... then saddened me that she was no longer behind me for me to check on.  Then I tried to hold back tears....

Yesterday, after running to BJ's, I decided to stop by Target because I had not been there for a while and wanted to browse.  Honestly, mom didn't creep into my thoughts while I shopped.  I was parched so I stopped at the cafe to grab a drink on my way out to the car.

It was a beautiful spring (finally spring feeling day) day, sun was shining brightly.  As I began my walk to the car, I surveyed the parking lot for traffic... and then it hit.

I was overcome with emotion.  

There was a young girl, maybe mid-20's or so, walking up to the storefront with an elderly, hunched over woman... 

and I thought of mom,

all the trips we did together shopping,

all the trips we did and how they progressively got shorter because her stamina couldn't take all day shopping,

and I thought to myself... does that young girl realize how lucky she is?  Oh how I would love to have mom here with me shopping... just spending time together... but my time was well spent with her while she was here on earth, and oh how I wish she was still here on earth.

I had to cut my shopping short, no BB&B, no Talbot's, no Macy's... I was a sobbing idiot!  I headed home instead.

Oh mom, I guess it will never get better for me.  I hope you are happy in heaven, that gives me solace that you are no longer suffering from dementia and have been reunited with loved ones.  

Until we meet again, xoxoxoxo...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?