Sunday, May 7, 2017

Bringing Happy Memories to Mom

Lately mom has been insistent on going home...

But this home is her childhood home on McKinley Street in the Wyssinoming neighborhood of Philly.  She wants to see her mom and dad.  


Recently, she was a bit sad and said she wished her family would call or visit.  When I asked who she wanted to call, she said Jerry.  My uncle Jerry was my Godfather.  He died well over a decade ago after a bout with cancer.


I had to explain that nana and pop pop were long gone as were all her brothers and their wives.  Maybe, Uncle Bud was still around but I have no idea as he never kept in touch.


This morning, as I was bringing laundry downstairs, I decided to go through the boxes of things I brought home from mom's house when we put it on the market.  Mostly pictures that no one wanted.  I tend to treasure these images of old as they are our history.  


At this point, I don't know who all the folks are in the pictures, and doubt I ever will because mom has progressed in her dementia and doesn't recall who all the folks are.  However, I do know some of the folks from the past.


When mom talks about where she'd like to go, most of the time it surrounds her family when she was younger.  When I speak of my dad, I sometimes get a blank stare in return, like my dad is a stranger to her.


So back to the laundry and pictures... 


I decided to bring up her wedding album.  I left it on my dining room table planning to sit with her and go through it, but she came upon it herself and started to look through it.











After noticing her looking through the album, I said what do you think?  Who are these people?  She had a big smile on her face and said mom, dad and me.  When we flipped the page I asked who these two folks were and she said Franny (my dad's bestman) and I asked and the other guy?  She said Bill.


After looking through the album, she said I wish I had a magnifying glass... and as if in a Disney Princess Movie, I made a magnifying glass appear.  Oh, she was so happy to see it so she could study the pictures... and study she did.

































When she was finished looking at them, she stood up, walked a few steps and was in another space of her own.  I asked her if she was okay and she said, that last half hour has brought on so many things and I just don't know how to explain it... so many wonderful memories, I just loved it!


She showered, dressed and returned to the dining room to look at all the pictures once again.












I just love seeing her take it all in and be happy.


Love you mom, miss you too.


Back to the laundry for me for real.

#dementia #byemom #missyoumom #takingcareofmom #wherehasmomgone #aginggracefully #respectyourelders #timeinabottle

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this Mickey. As I sit here crying at the sweetness of Aunt Anne and knowledge of how hard it is to watch your Mom decline I have so much respect for you. You are setting a wonderful example for us all of unconditional love on so many levels. You my dear cousin are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful and knowledgable.

    Regards
    windycityrehab

    ReplyDelete

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?