Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sniffles and the Change of Weather...

If you reside in an area of the country where there are four seasons, do you find that when the seasons change, you usually get a cold and the sniffles?



Maybe it's not the seasonal changes, it could be the little 4 and 1 year old rug rats that visit who could be described as the cutest ball of germs on the planet.... hmmm, I may be onto something.



The weekend before last, I had the joy of having my grandsons with me.  The older one, Dylan, had a cold and his voice sounded like someone else was living inside him.  He didn't have any complaints, no not feeling wells, no I feel sick, no I can't swallow... he was perfectly fine except for this new voice from within... but you could tell, he was fighting a ccccccooooollllllddddddd!



Fast forward to the following Thursday night, it was as if someone had a 'cold' switch and flicked it on!  Before dinner I was feeling fine, okie-dokie, peachy, honkey dorey.... but by the time I was finished dinner, I noticed a slight scratchiness to my throat... ahem, ahem, ahem.... rut roh!

Those gorgeous germs had been transfered to me by my adorable grands!  Dagnabbit!



So my time last weekend was spent in bed, tired, sleepy and full of phlem.  Plus I had a slight headache to boot!  Can you say this weekend sucks... beautiful weather and I am stuck in bed... heck, I didn't wake up and go downstairs until 3:15pm!!! YIKES!



Sunday I did force myself to get up, dressed and out of the house... even with that nagging headache... I know it was a sinus headache, just the way it lingered... but I did have phlem and I did have a runny nose.



Hey, wait a minute, isnt' this called It's Not Always ApParent???? or did I change the name to It's Not Always About Me????... naw, this is where the parent enters the story... hold your horses peeps!

So as you know, my faithful followers (all zippo of you), mom now lives with me... so she too was here when the boys spent the weekend... she too loves these little germ monsters to death and they love her too.... so she too was exposed to the nasty germs....



Well, as luck would have it, she's developed the cold this week... and has phlem and is coughing and nasal drip too!  So what?  Well, as you may recall, this whole 'what to do about mom' dilemma started when mom was hospitalized in March... that was because her meds were not adminstered and taken correctly but... the hospital stay before that one was because she got a cold that turned into pneumonia...



I'll have to keep an eye on her to make sure she continues to expel the phlem v. sucking it down.... don't need a hospital stay...



So, knowing that mom doesn't eat as she should either and has this cold, has anyone out there who's cared for their elderly parent in this situation have any ideas on how to keep her healthy under the circumstances?


#elderlycare #lovemom #momsinthehouse #momcare #itsnotalwaysapparent #howtodealwithagingparents #agingparents

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?