Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ugh! Some Adjustments Are Needed

I think everyone knows that when a parent picks up and moves in with their grown, adult children after 35+ years apart, there's going to be some adjustments needed when the household combines into one home.

I mean, come on, it's a given.

What's not typical is that the 'in-law' (my hubby) has been on disability for 23+ years,  is in pain, recently went through a hospital stay of 6+ weeks to ween him from his Dr. prescribed narcotics over the years, and is just a tad bit difficult to live with when he's in pain.

I get it, it sucks to be in pain, but really?



He's short with me, our son and now mom... 

When we were pre-injury and young, my parents helped us out all the time with basic necessities... my mom helped us so much.... I owe so much, excuse me, WE owe so much to her and her generosity over the years whether it was time, money or talent, she was and is always there for us.  



As such, I don't belive she owes us one thing and the rest of her life should be filled with peace and enjoyment.

Yes, mom has some habits that differ from ours... for example, she hangs the kitchen towels from the drawers instead of the dishwasher or oven handles like we do... no biggie, I just take them off the drawer, fold them and place them on the appliance handles... DONE! OVER! FINISHED!.... not with my hubby.

 

He has to complain that she keeps putting them on the drawer... why can't she put them back where she got them?



Or another of his pet peeves, when mom 'washes' the dishes that are in the sink and lays them on a towel on the coutner to dry... he hates when things are left on the counter oh, and it doesn't help that they are not washed fully... i.e. little lipstick on the glasses.... OMG!  You would think that she killed his favorite toy!  I simply let her do it and later come back and load the stuff into the dishwasher... I often suggest just place it in the dishwasher but oh well, for over 80+ years habits become hard to break.



Dear readers, have any of you ever run into a situation like this and HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO SURVIVE IT?  I honestly am ready to throw in the towel vs. hanging it on the drawer or hanging it on one of the appliances!!!!!



#elderlycare #seniorcare #agingparents #toomanycooksinthekitchen #adjustingtomom #livingwithmom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?