Wednesday, December 31, 2014

It's New Year's Eve and What Are You Doing to Celebrate?

Me? You're kidding right?

Me?  Take a wild guess what I am doing this New Year's Eve...

Champagne? - nope
LBD? (Little Black Dress for those of you out of the know) - nope
Party with horns and hats? - nope again

Had to call 911 earlier today to bring mom to the ER.  

We ate a late lunch/early dinner yesterday.  Mom was up before the birds and took her PM meds around 5pm, which of course will make her tired.  She headed to be around 7::30pm saying her stomach didn't feel right... 

This morning, when I came downstairs, she was sitting in the living room with a cup of tea watching the tv.  She hadn't slept most of the night, her stomach was bothering her.  I changed the channel on the tv so she could watch Good Morning America (#GMA) and proceeded to go to the kitchen to work from home.

A little later I walked in the living room to find her sleeping soundly so I turned off the tv and went back to work.

Shortly thereafter, I heard a grunt from the living room and went in to investigate.  Mom was slumped over on her side trying to get up.  I asked what was the matter and she indicated the pain in her stomach again saying she felt sick.  I asked, "Sick like I have to get to the bathroom or sick like I need to throw up?"  and she said, "Just sick." in a very low voice.  

Her eyes were shut, her face grimaced in pain and she asked me help her get up.  I put out my arms for her to grab and she got up to a sitting position... this is when the fun began.

Her eyes opened wide as can be, not focusing on anything, she became limp and I guided her to the back of the sofa saying, "Mom can you hear me?  Mom... mom?... mom?  She became unresponsive and limp then her breathing began to get 'funny'.  Her cheek began flapping and she was making a noise, which became louder then faded to nothing.

This unresponsiveness lasted about 1 minute so I called 9-1-1 to have an ambulance come... I knew she needed medical attention.

So now I sit in the ER, room 3, with mom while tests are done and wait for results... thank goodness for Intranet and my laptop.  I can keep myself busy with Internet and work too.

Happy New Year!  

I resolve not to have to do any ER runs in 2015, how about you?

#eldercare #takingcareofmom #momsgettingold #momsmovedin #somethingaboutmom #mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?