Saturday, December 6, 2014

Television Content Confusion

For my fellow elder care peeps, today's concern & question is...

Has your parent ever confused the news reports with the commercials on television?

This morning, when I came down, mom was already up and in the kitchen sipping her coffee watching tv.  The local news was on and she had a perplexed look on her face.

(Background) Yesterday I went into center city with my daughters and grandsons to see the Christmas light show and a Holiday Spectacular show at one of the largest, if not THE largest cable provider in the states.

When I asked mom what was the matter, she said... Oh my, you wouldn't believe everything that's going on out there and I am so happy you got out of the city before all this.

Me: All this?

She: Oh the air has something in it, and I look out at the tree tops outside and they are as still as can be.  There's cars running off the highway and there's something coming up the coast, things are flying... makes me look out to see if I see it but no, it's gray and calm out there.

Me, sitting down:  What are you talking about mom?  Cars ran off the highway in the city after we left?

She: Yes, wait and watch, they keep repeating the same things... and then there's kids and toys...

Me: Mom, you're watching the news

She, interrupting: Look those two keep coming on.

Me: Mom, it's the news... they are the anchors... they tell you the news.

She:  He's the one telling about slippery roads and sleet and rain...

Me: Mom, he's the weatherman... that's his job.

She: Oh really?

Then a commercial came on and she was so intrigued by them... especially the auto commercials... and I said you need not pay attention to the commercials, they are trying to sell you something, these are for cars... they are made up stories and you are not in the market for a car so don't pay attention.  Maybe you should stop watching the news and just read a book.

Needless to say, I am a wee bit concerned, about this confused episode and how long it will last.  I'll keep an eye on it and not rush to any conclusions but still... concerned.

Has anyone ever had this type of experience and was it temporary or did it lead to more confusion?  Feel free to share your experience... that's why I started this blog; to help others as they begin the path of taking care of their parent.

#eldercare, #momsmovedin, #parentcare, #elderlycare


1 comment:

  1. Think I figured out why mom is so confused...

    When getting her meds together to do the weekly refill,
    half of the dosages still remained in the container!!!!

    This is what landed her in the hospital back in March of this year.

    I told her I was alarmed that she missed half of her doses...

    She went away for 3 days with my cousin this past week, and according to mom, Peggy did ask if she took meds... but obviously she did not! Next time I will have to tell Peg to watch her take the meds...

    Ugh!

    #forgottotakemeds #misseddoses #confused #momneedswatching

    ReplyDelete

Have you had to deal with this type of thing? Care to share?